The unique attribute in this acrylic is possible due to a special pigment formulation that yields 25 percent light transmittance when backlit, yet appears dark and opaque without backlighting.
Unlike our original 9H04 SC P95 Black/White version which sometimes required adding a diffuser film to the surface, the new 9K004 Black/White has much better light diffusion at minimal distances from the light source(s) and requires no surface treatment.
This black white acrylic sheet is an extruded sheet that is made in Maine. It cuts, bends and forms very easily.
Typically used for channel letter sign faces, sign cabinets or lightboxes.
Traditionally, sign shops will apply a perforated film to a 2447 white sheet. The sheet will appear black or colored (depending on the color of the film) during the day and when lit, the light shows through the holes in the film, making the sign appear “White”. Our 9K004 Black/White sheet eliminates the need to buy/stock this film, the labor and time to apply it and the worry about it weathering or delaminating from the sheet in the field. Our sheet is a “plug-n-play” option.
In addition to the high quality and proven performance of ACRYLITE®, such as:
- Extremely weather-able for outdoor applications
- Easily formed and fabricated
- 100% recyclability
It offers the following special features:
- Black in daylight and glows in the color of the LEDs at night (see illustration below)
This product is especially suitable for:
- Illuminated signs
- Exhibition booth
- Store fixture/retail displays
- Special-effect luminous walls in architecture
- This sheet works best when the edges are enclosed in the sign box or channel. There should be no overhanging edges if uniform appearance is desired.
- The black and white sheet effect will be achieved regardless of which side is facing inward or outward. The sign surface will have a glossy appearance.
- It is not necessary to add a separate diffusing panel to ensure that the image of the lamps is hidden when a standard distance from the lights is used. Alternately, a white vinyl diffusing film may be applied for enhanced diffusion when distance from the lighting source is close.
- The intensity of effect can be adjusted by varying the positioning of the light source.