ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet
ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet
What should I consider when constructing a light box with ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit?
ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit acrylic sheet uniformly distributes the light entering through its edges and redirects it over the entire surface with the highest possible optical output ratio. The brightness of a luminous display therefore depends largely on the power and number of light sources employed, as well as on the size of the edge surface (thickness of the chosen ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit acrylic sheet).
The distance between the light source and the edge of the ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet must be as small as possible so that plenty of light directly enters the sheet. An ideal distance is 0.040” – 0.118” (1mm - 3mm).
The light source can be provided with a reflector to ensure that a maximum amount of light enters the edges (see drawing).
Edges that are not lit should be covered with reflective material such as adhesive tape. The luminous displays can be installed with one or two radiant surfaces. If only one side is light-emitting, a highly reflective cover should be provided on the back. The lit edges should have smooth surfaces. Edge polishing improves light entry via the edge.
The motif carrier should be made of light-diffusing material so as to distribute the light exiting the ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet uniformly towards the observer. Printable film is suitable as a motif carrier, but paper can also be used. Practically all types of glazing are suitable for protecting the motifs, particularly tough, impact-resistant ACRYLITE® Optical mar-resistant acrylic sheet.
ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet sheet is available in the standard size of 120” x 80” (3,050mm x 2,030mm) and thickness of 0.236” (6mm), 0.315” (8mm), 0.394” (10mm), and 0.472” (12mm).
What are some recommendations for processing ACRYLITE® LED lighting guiding edge lit?
The product can be machined with the same parameters and equipment as standard ACRYLITE®.
- The bending radius needs to be 6 times larger than the material thickness so the light can follow the shape
- With fine polishing, surface scratches can be removed and the lighting properties are restored
The typical setup consists of ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit illuminated with LED strip modules at one, two, or four sides. A transparent protection sheet can be used to protect the poster and light guide. A secondary diffuser can be used to improve the light scattering in certain applications.
- Complete functionality is only provided after removing the masking film.
- Maximum luminous efficiency and homogenous light distribution are achieved using the recommended grades (SM, L, XL, XXL).
- To obtain optimal luminous efficiency, it is recommended to polish all edges or use a laser-cut method. Mirror or white reflector materials (such as tape) can be used on edges without LEDs to enhance uniformity and efficiency.
- Bonding, lamination, and printing on the front or back-side surfaces will disturb the light transport and therefore create non-homogenous illumination.
- Install LEDs close to the edge so that the entire light cone enters the sheet/rod.
- The thickness of the material should be greater than the width of the LEDs to assure optimal light coupling.
- One weak link in an LED system design (such as poor LED selection or lack of thermal management) can cause the overall results to be less than optimal. See full technical information on ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit for recommended complimentary components.
What are some recommendations for optimal use of light?
- To achieve optimal luminous efficiency, the suitable grade of ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit (SM to XXL) should be used for the desired area to be illuminated
- Bonding, laminating and printing impair the lighting properties of ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit
- All edges should be polished to minimize diffusion losses ‒ see above diagram
- To avoid light losses via the unlit edges, they should be provided with a reflective surface, e.g. by painting the inside surfaces of the clamping profiles white
- The LEDs should be placed as close to the edge as possible for optimal light input
- In transparent applications, it is advisable to use transparent cover sheets to protect against surface scratching
- In non-transparent applications, it is advisable to use a white reflective sheet
What can be the cause of undesired brightening at the edges? (Corona effect)
It should be ensured that light is only fed into the edge of the ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit sheet, not into the image carrier, the cover sheet, diffuser sheet or reflective sheet.
Why is ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit not uniformly illuminating?
Often, when ACRYLITE® LED light guiding edge lit has been completely installed, it does not uniformly illuminate when the light is switched on if the masking film is still in place to protect the sheet.
The masking film must be completely removed, and then the light will be properly distributed. The masking film impairs light guiding because of its optical contact with the surface.
What happens if I use the smaller grade (L) instead of the recommended grade (XL)?
Illumination is less homogeneous. Since the smaller grade was optimized for smaller surfaces, light no longer reaches the depths of the sheet. Brightness would decrease in the center.
What happens if I use the larger grade (XXL) instead of the recommended grade (XL)?
Illumination is still homogeneous. Since the larger grade was optimized for larger surfaces, light will not be as bright as the smaller grade.
What are the thickness tolerances for ACRYLITE® LED lighting guiding edge lit?
Thickness in Inches Min - Max 0.157" 0.150-0.165 0.236" 0.224-0.248 0.315" 0.299-0.331 0.354" 0.374-0.413